Easy AF Breakfast:
PB + Fresh Fruit Toast
I don’t know about you, but if a breakfast recipe requires a pot, pan, or anything harder to wash than a single plate and a butter knife, it’s not happening during the work week. (I’d rather get the extra 15 minutes of sleep tbh.)
I’m also trying to do a better job incorporating more fruits and veggies into my meals. Here’s something that tends to work really well for me:
Think plants first.
When I’m trying to figure out what to cook, I see which fruits and veggies I have on hand and then think about the protein and/or grains I want to add to make it a meal.
Planning meals around a ~star~ fruit (not to be confused with a starfruit) or veggie helps me make meals where fruits and veggies aren’t an afterthought – they’re the best part. Plus, I’m way less likely to just make, like, a bagel with cream cheese and call it a day.
What I made for breakfast today was so stupid-easy, I don’t think you can call it a recipe. But that’s pretty much the level of complexity I’m here for at 6 AM, Monday through Friday.
Here it is!
Easy AF Peanut Butter + Fresh Fruit Toast
All You Need Is:
- Whole wheat bread (I used Dave’s Killer Thin-Sliced 100% Whole Wheat)
- Your favorite nut butter (I used Simple Truth Organic No-Stir Crunchy Peanut Butter)
- Sliced fresh fruit
- (Opt.) Garnish, if you’re feeling fancy Basil arguably has no right to be sitting here on a plate, next to a banana, but I was feeling bougie and have a basil plant in the windowsill – it will make you do weird things
Here’s why I love this breakfast:
- This literally takes 3 minutes to put together (including cutting the fruit)
- It’s super versatile – use any nut butter or fresh fruit you want (raspberries and apples are both amazing options, too)
- Thanks to Dave’s Killer Bread, you’re getting hella omega-3’s, whole grains, fiber, and protein for a much-needed energy boost (if you pair this breakfast with coffee, you’re pretty much a superhuman now – congrats)
- The ingredients are pretty affordable and easy to keep in stock (to keep this meal cheap-cheap, use store-brand peanut butter, the cheapest whole wheat bread you can find, plus whatever fresh fruit is on sale that you like – these strawberries were $1.88, bless the produce discount gods)
- You don’t actually have to toast the bread if you’re really running late (confession time: I totally didn’t and the bread really picked up the slack)
- If you’re craving something savory, this is really easy to adapt. Just switch out the nut butter for a savory spread like hummus and swap out the fruit for your favorite veggies – I love using cucumbers, baby heirloom tomatoes, and alfalfa sprouts, plus a little bit of feta if I have some in the fridge, but you can make this as simple or bougie as you want.
That’s it for today, guys! If you have a favorite stupid-easy breakfast, I would love to hear about it in the comments!